Maryland basketball shocks Georgetown with last-minute comeback

Photo by Hannah Yasharoff.
Photo by Hannah Yasharoff.

After an epic game in their first meeting in 23 years, Maryland and Georgetown put on another classic Tuesday night, with the Terps coming out on top 76-75.

“The last two years have been great games and we’ve been fortunate to come out on top in both games. We beat a great team tonight,” head coach Mark Turgeon said in his post game press conference.

Maryland erased a seven point lead in the final 58 seconds, taking advantage of two costly Georgetown turnovers on their final two possessions. Melo Trimble hit two free throws to give the Terps the lead with 7.6 seconds left, and Kevin Huerter blocked Jagan Mosely at the other end to seal the victory.

“We were trying to double the ball from the inbounder but they ran into each other and Anthony kind of tripped and the guy got an angle on him. But with Kevin length’s he kept coming and didn’t stop,” Turgeon said.

Both teams traded baskets for the first six minutes, but then Maryland went on an 8-0 run to take a 14-7 lead. But the Terps didn’t score for the next three minutes, and the Hoyas capitalized on Maryland’s offensive woes with an 11-0 run, with the final six coming after the Terps committed fouls on three straight possessions.

Maryland was in foul trouble through most of the game, and Georgetown ended going 37-42 from the free throw line.

“We put so much emphasis on press offense, that we probably didn’t put enough emphasis on guarding,” Turgeon said.

Georgetown ran a full court press at the beginning of the game, but head coach John Thompson III called it off after Trimble and Huerter broke it with ease.

Similar to Friday against American, Anthony Cowan provided a spark late in the first half. After Jaylen Brantley stole an errant pass, Cowan trailed him and the junior found Cowan for a layup, which turned into a three point play to tie the game at 24. On the next possession, Cowan drove to the basket and passed the ball around two Hoya defenders to find Ivan Bender for an easy layup.

Jared Nickens made a three pointer with 2:53 left to give Maryland a 29-24 lead, but ended the half tied at 31.

After Cowan provided a spark in the first half, it was Justin Jackson’s turn to provide one in the second half, as he made threes on consecutive possession to give the Terps a 43-38 lead with 15:37 left. Jackson finished with 17 points, second on the team to Trimble’s game high 22.

Nickens made two free throws to push the Terps’ lead back up to three at 45-42, and it was the last lead the Terps would have until the end of the game. Dodd badly missed a jumper on the next offensive possession, and Rodney Pryor tied it for Georgetown with a three on the other end. Jessie Govan made two free throws to give Georgetown the lead, and Trimble responded with a layup at the other end to tie at 47.

Four free throws from LJ Peak pushed the Hoyas lead to four, then the two teams traded baskets, with Georgetown hitting two threes while the Terps made two layups. The Hoyas continued to slowly increase the lead, and a free throw from Peak extended Georgetown’s lead to 66-57 with 3:06 left. The Hoyas kept the Terps at bay for the rest of the game before unraveling in the last 50 seconds.

Maryland is back in action when it takes on St. Mary’s on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s